Marshall County, Indiana
Genealogy and Facts
Marshall County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Marshall Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Marshall County was founded on February 7, 1835 from St. Joseph County and Unorganized Land. This county was named for U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall.
The Marshall County Seat is located in Plymouth also, the county government website is www.co.marshall.in.us/ .
Counties bordering Marshall County are St. Joseph County (north), Elkhart County (northeast), Kosciusko County (east), Fulton County (south), Pulaski County (southwest), Starke County (west).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Marshall County include Argos, Bourbon, Bremen, Culver, La Paz, Plymouth.
Townships located in Marshall County include Bourbon, Center, German, Green, North, Polk, Tippecanoe, Union, Walnut, West.
Marshall County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marshall County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marshall County Historian, Linda Rippy, 430 Clark St., Plymouth, IN 46563-2805; Home Phone: (574) 936-4346
- Antiquarian and Historical Society of Culver, P.O. Box 125, Culver, IN 46511-0125; Phone: (574) 842-2941
- Historic Bremen, P.O. Box 471, Bremen, IN 46506-0471
- Marshall County Historical Society, 123 N. Michigan St., Plymouth, IN 46563-2132; Phone: (574) 936-2306
- Marshall County Genealogical Society, 3383 E Eights Rd, Bourbon 46504
- Marshall County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marshall County
- Marshall County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marshall County
- USGenWeb Archives for Marshall County
Marshall County Courthouse and Government Records
Marshall County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Marshall County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Marshall County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Marshall County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Marshall County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 W Madison Street, Plymouth, Indiana 46563
- Marshall County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (574) 936-8922
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1834
- Court Records: 1837
- Marshall County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 112 W Jefferson Street, Plymouth, IN 46563
- Phone: (574) 935-8515
- Land Records: 1834
- Marshall County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Marshall County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Marshall County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Marshall County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Marshall County genealogy or family history related sites.
Marshall Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marshall Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marshall Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marshall Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marshall Co. IN Census Records
Marshall Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marshall Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Marshall Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marshall Co. IN General and History Websites
Marshall Co. IN Military Records