Henry County, Indiana
Genealogy and Facts
Henry County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Henry Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Henry County was founded on June 1, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase. This county was named for Patrick Henry, attorney, orator, and founding father .
The Henry County Seat is located in New Castle also, the county government website is www.henryco.net/ .
Counties bordering Henry County are Delaware County (north), Randolph County (northeast), Wayne County (east), Fayette County (southeast), Rush County (south), Hancock County (southwest), Madison County (northwest).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Henry County include Ashland, Blountsville, Cadiz, Corwin, Dunreith, Fayne Siding, Foley, Grant City, Greensboro, Hillsboro, Honey Creek, Kennard, Knightstown, Lewisville, Luray, Maple Valley, Mechanicsburg, Messick, Middletown, Millville, Mooreland, Mount Lawn, Mount Summit, New Castle, New Lisbon, Ogden, Pierson Station, Raysville, Rogersville, Shirley, Spiceland, Springport, Stone Quarry Mills, Straughn, Sulphur Springs, Van Nuys, Westwood, Woodville.
Townships located in Henry County include Blue River, Dudley, Fall Creek, Franklin, Greensboro, Harrison, Henry, Jefferson, Liberty, Prairie, Spiceland, Stoney Creek, Wayne.
Henry County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Henry County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County Historian, Richard P. Ratcliff, 6462 Woods Edge Drive, Spiceland, IN 47385; Phone: (765) 987-7182
- Henry County Historical Society Museum, 606 S. 14th St., New Castle, IN 47362-3339; Phone: (765) 529-4028
- Genealogical Society of Henry , Indiana, Inc.,The Genealogical Society of Henry County, Indiana has officially disbanded due to lack of interest October 21, 2009.
- Historic Knightstown, P.O. Box 74, Knightstown, IN 46148-0074; Phone: (765) 345-5224
- Kennard Historical Society, 750 Oak Blvd., Greenfield, IN 46140-1465
- Middletown Fall Creek Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 63, Middletown, IN 47356-0063; Phone: (765) 354-2000
- Spiceland Preservation and Tourism Society, P.O. Box 453, Spiceland, IN 47385-0453
- Henry County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henry County
- USGenWeb Archives for Henry County
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
Henry County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Henry County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Feb. 1864, Clerk, recorded, auditor and treasurer's records were saved.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Henry County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 1215 Race Street, PO Box B, New Castle, IN 47362
- Phone: (765) 529-6401
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1825
- Henry County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 101 S Main St Rm #106, New Castle, IN 47362
- Phone: (765) 529-4304
- Land Records: 1824
- Henry County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Henry County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Henry County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Henry County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Henry County genealogy or family history related sites.
Henry Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henry Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henry Co. IN Census Records
Henry Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Henry Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Henry Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. IN General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Indiana
- Henry County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Hazzard's history of Henry County, Indiana : 1822- 1906 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Henry County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, mil (search.ancestry.com)
- Henry County, past and present : a brief history of the county from 1821 to 1871 (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Spiceland Academy (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Henry County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Henry Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Henry County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Henry Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Henry County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Henry (cyndislist.com)
- Henry County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Henry Co. INGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Henry County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Henry Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Henry Co. IN Military Records