Allen County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Allen County, Indiana Facts
When was Allen County, IN Created?
Allen County was established on April 1, 1824 from Delaware New Purchase and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Col. John Allen, Kentucky state senator.
What is the County Seat of Allen County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Fort Wayne also, the county government website is www.allencounty.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Allen County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Noble County (northwest), DeKalb County (northeast), Defiance County, Ohio (northeast), Paulding County, Ohio (east), Van Wert County, Ohio (southeast), Adams County (southeast), Wells County (southwest), Huntington County (southwest), Whitley County (west).
What cities and towns are in Allen County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Fort Wayne, New Haven, Woodburn, Grabill, Huntertown, Leo-Cedarville, Monroeville, Zanesville.
What Townships are in Allen County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Aboite, Adams, Cedar Creek, Eel River, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Madison, Marion, Maumee, Milan, Monroe, Perry, Pleasant, Scipio, Springfield, St. Joseph, Washington, Wayne.
Allen County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Allen County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Allen County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Allen County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Allen County Department of Health, 1 E. Main St., 5th Floor, Ft. Wayne, IN 46802-1810 ; Phone: 260-449-7561 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1880 / 1870.
- Web: Allen County, Indiana Deaths 1870-1920
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Allen County, IN Census Records
What Allen County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Allen Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Allen County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Allen County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Allen County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Allen County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Allen County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 715 South Calhoun Street, # 201, Fort Wayne, IN 46802
- Phone: (260) 449-7245
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1825
- Court Records: 1824
- Allen County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 1 East Main Street, City-County Bldg - Room 100 Fort Wayne 46802
- Phone: 260-449-7165
- Land Records: 1824
- Allen County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Will records of Allen County, Indiana, 1831 to 1869
- BLM Land Records
Allen County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Allen County, IN?
A list of Allen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Allen County Historian, Thomas E. Castaldi, 13707 Brook Hollow Court, Fort Wayne, IN 46814-9740; Home Phone: (260) 625-5987
- African/African-American Historical Museum (Fort Wayne), 436 E. Douglas Ave., Fort Wayne, IN 46802-3539; Phone: (260) 420-0765
- Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana, P.O. Box 12003, Fort Wayne, IN 46862-2003; Phone: (219) 693-3369
- Besancon Historical Society, 15535 Lincoln Highway E., New Haven, IN 46774-9679; Phone: (260) 622-4067
- Grabill Historical Society, P.O. Box 346, Grabill, IN 46741-0346; Phone: (260) 627-5227
- The History Center (Fort Wayne) / Allen County Historical Society, 302 E. Berry St., Fort Wayne, IN 46802-2765; Phone: (260) 426-2882
- Huntertown Historical Society, P.O. Box 662, Huntertown, IN 46748-0662; Phone: (260) 637-3530
- Monroeville Historical Society, 407 Elm St., Monroeville, IN 46773-9340
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Allen County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Allen County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allen County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Allen Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Allen Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Indiana historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Fort Wayne News (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Sentinel, The (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Fort Wayne News and Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Gazette, The (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Weekly Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Gazette, The (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Dawsons Fort Wayne Daily Times (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Dawson's Daily Times and Union (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Weekly Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Weekly Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Dawsons Fort Wayne Weekly Times (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily News (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily Gazette (fold3.com) Founded in 1863, the "Fort Wayne Daily Gazette" was a former competitor of the "Fort Wayne Sentinel."
- Fort Wayne Gazette (fold3.com) Founded in 1863, the "Fort Wayne Gazette" is a continuation of the "Fort Wayne Daily Gazette."
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette (fold3.com) Published seven days a week, the "Fort Wayne Journal Gazette," and its predecessors have been news source since the Civil War.
- Fort Wayne News The Fort Wayne "Daily News" was first published in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on June 1, 1874.
- Fort Wayne Sentinel (fold3.com) Founded in 1833, "The Fort Wayne Sentinel" later merged with the "Fort Wayne Daily News" to become today's "The News-Sentinel."
- Fort Wayne Weekly Journal (fold3.com) As it name implies, the "Fort Wayne Weekly Journal" was a weekly publication in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- Fort Wayne Weekly Journal-Gazette (fold3.com) The "Fort Wayne Weekly Journal-Gazette" is a continuation of the the "Fort Wayne Weekly Journal."
- Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons Scrapbooks (fold3.com) Scrapbooks and yearbooks from the predecessors to today's Detroit Pistons, in the 1950's
- Allen County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Allen County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Allen County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Allen County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Allen Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Allen Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Allen Co. IN General and History Websites
Allen Co. IN Military Records
Allen Co. IN Schools & Directories