Allen County, Indiana
Allen County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Allen Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Allen County was founded on April 1, 1824 from Delaware New Purchase and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Col. John Allen, Kentucky state senator.
The Allen County Seat is located in Fort Wayne also, the county government website is www.allencounty.us/ .
Counties bordering Allen County are Noble County (northwest), DeKalb County (northeast), Defiance County, Ohio (northeast), Paulding County, Ohio (east), Van Wert County, Ohio (southeast), Adams County (southeast), Wells County (southwest), Huntington County (southwest), Whitley County (west).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Allen County include Fort Wayne, New Haven, Woodburn, Grabill, Huntertown, Leo-Cedarville, Monroeville, Zanesville.
Townships located in Allen County include Aboite, Adams, Cedar Creek, Eel River, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Madison, Marion, Maumee, Milan, Monroe, Perry, Pleasant, Scipio, Springfield, St. Joseph, Washington, Wayne.
Allen County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Allen County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Application to mail.
Allen County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Allen Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Allen County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Allen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana (raogk.org)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Allen County Historian, Thomas E. Castaldi, 13707 Brook Hollow Court, Fort Wayne, IN 46814-9740; Home Phone: (260) 625-5987
- African/African-American Historical Museum (Fort Wayne), 436 E. Douglas Ave., Fort Wayne, IN 46802-3539; Phone: (260) 420-0765
- Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana, P.O. Box 12003, Fort Wayne, IN 46862-2003; Phone: (219) 693-3369
- Besancon Historical Society, 15535 Lincoln Highway E., New Haven, IN 46774-9679; Phone: (260) 622-4067
- Grabill Historical Society, P.O. Box 346, Grabill, IN 46741-0346; Phone: (260) 627-5227
- The History Center (Fort Wayne) / Allen County Historical Society, 302 E. Berry St., Fort Wayne, IN 46802-2765; Phone: (260) 426-2882
- Huntertown Historical Society, P.O. Box 662, Huntertown, IN 46748-0662; Phone: (260) 637-3530
- Monroeville Historical Society, 407 Elm St., Monroeville, IN 46773-9340
- Allen County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Allen County
- Allen County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Allen County
- USGenWeb Archives for Allen County
Allen County Courthouse and Government Records
Allen County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Allen County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Allen County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Allen County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Allen County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 715 South Calhoun Street, # 201, Fort Wayne, IN 46802
- Phone: (260) 449-7245
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1825
- Court Records: 1824
- Allen County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 1 East Main Street, City-County Bldg - Room 100 Fort Wayne 46802
- Phone: 260-449-7165
- Land Records: 1824
- Allen County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Allen County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
- Address: 1 E. Main St., 5th Floor, Ft. Wayne, IN 46802-1810
- Phone: 260-449-7561
- Birth & Death Records: 1880 / 1870
Allen County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Allen County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Allen County genealogy or family history related sites.
Allen Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Allen Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Fort Wayne News (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Sentinel, The (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Fort Wayne News and Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Gazette, The (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Weekly Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Gazette, The (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Dawsons Fort Wayne Daily Times (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Dawson's Daily Times and Union (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Weekly Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Weekly Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Dawsons Fort Wayne Weekly Times (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Gazette (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily News (Fort Wayne, Indiana) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Wayne Daily Gazette (fold3.com) Founded in 1863, the "Fort Wayne Daily Gazette" was a former competitor of the "Fort Wayne Sentinel."
- Fort Wayne Gazette (fold3.com) Founded in 1863, the "Fort Wayne Gazette" is a continuation of the "Fort Wayne Daily Gazette."
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette (fold3.com) Published seven days a week, the "Fort Wayne Journal Gazette," and its predecessors have been news source since the Civil War.
- Fort Wayne News The Fort Wayne "Daily News" was first published in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on June 1, 1874.
- Fort Wayne Sentinel (fold3.com) Founded in 1833, "The Fort Wayne Sentinel" later merged with the "Fort Wayne Daily News" to become today's "The News-Sentinel."
- Fort Wayne Weekly Journal (fold3.com) As it name implies, the "Fort Wayne Weekly Journal" was a weekly publication in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- Fort Wayne Weekly Journal-Gazette (fold3.com) The "Fort Wayne Weekly Journal-Gazette" is a continuation of the the "Fort Wayne Weekly Journal."
- Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons Scrapbooks (fold3.com) Scrapbooks and yearbooks from the predecessors to today's Detroit Pistons, in the 1950's
- Allen County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Allen County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Allen County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Allen County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Indiana Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
Allen Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Allen Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Allen Co. IN Census Records
Allen Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Allen Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Allen Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Allen Co. IN General and History Websites
Allen Co. IN Military Records
Allen Co. IN Schools & Directories