Jo Daviess County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jo Daviess County, Illinois Facts
When was Jo Daviess County, IL Created?
Jo Daviess County was established on February 17, 1827 from Henry County and Putnam County. This county was named for Joseph Hamilton Daveiss (1774-1811), commander of the Indiana Dragoons at the Battle of Tippecanoe .
What is the County Seat of Jo Daviess County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Galena also, the county government website is www.jodaviess.org .
What counties are adjacent to Jo Daviess County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Lafayette County, WI (north), Stephenson County (east), Carroll County (southeast), Jackson County, Iowa (southwest), Dubuque County, Iowa (northwest), Grant County, WI (northwest)
What cities and towns are in Jo Daviess County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Apple River, East Dubuque, Elizabeth, Galena, Hanover, Menominee, Nora, Scales Mound, Stockton, Warren.
What Townships are in Jo Daviess County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Hanover, East Galena, Elizabeth, Guilford, Berreman, Apple River, Council Hill, Derinda, Dunleith, Rawlins, Pleasant Valley, Nora, Menominee, Scales Mound, Rice, Rush, Vinegar Hill, Stockton, Thompson, West Galena, Wards Grove, Warren, Woodbine.
Jo Daviess County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Jo Daviess County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jo Daviess County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jo Daviess County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Jo Daviess County, IL Census Records
What Jo Daviess County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jo Daviess County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jo Daviess Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jo Daviess Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jo Daviess Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Jo Daviess County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Jo Daviess County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jo Daviess County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jo Daviess County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Jo Daviess County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 330 N. Bench St., Galena, IL 61036
- Jo Daviess County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: County Clerk 815-777-0161 ; Recorder 815-777-9694
- Marriage Records: 1830
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1828
- Jo Daviess County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-777-0037
- Probate Records: 1828
- Court Records: 827
- Jo Daviess County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Jo Daviess County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jo Daviess County, IL?
A list of Jo Daviess County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Jo Daviess County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jo Daviess County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jo Daviess County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Jo Daviess Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jo Daviess Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jo Daviess Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Jo Daviess Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jo Daviess Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Jo Daviess County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Jo Daviess County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- The History of Jo Daviess County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a biographical direct (search.ancestry.com)
- Jo Daviess County, Illinois Biographical Dictionary (search.ancestry.com)
- Galena's old stockade : used during the Black Hawk War, 1832 (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Jo Daviess and Carroll Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical (search.ancestry.com)
- Jo Daviess County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jo Daviess Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jo Daviess County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Jo Daviess (cyndislist.com)
- Jo Daviess County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Jo Daviess Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Jo Daviess County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jo Daviess Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jo Daviess Co. IL Military Records