Muscogee County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Muscogee County, Georgia Facts
When was Muscogee County, GA Created?
Muscogee County was established on June 9, 1825 from Creek Cession of 1826. The county was named in honor of Muskogee ethnic group, to which the Creek and Seminole Nations belong.
What is the County Seat of Muscogee County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Columbus and in the current county government website is www.columbusga.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Muscogee County, GA?
Bordering Counties are Harris County (north), Talbot County (northeast), Chattahoochee County (south), Russell County, AL (southwest), Lee County, AL (west).
Muscogee County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Muscogee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Muscogee County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Muscogee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Muscogee Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Muscogee County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- Houston, Muscogee, and Talbot Counties, Georgia Marriages, 1826-1852
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Muscogee County, GA Census Records
What Muscogee County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Muscogee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Muscogee County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Muscogee County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Muscogee County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Muscogee County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Georgia Census Records Research Guide
Muscogee County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
Muscogee County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Muscogee County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Muscogee County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Muscogee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Muscogee County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (706) 653-4353
- Land Records: 1838
- Court Records: 1838
- Muscogee County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 706.653.4331
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1838
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- Georgia Land Lotteries of 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Muscogee County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Muscogee County, GA?
A list of Muscogee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Muscogee County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 761, Columbus, GA 31902
- Brookstone School Young Historians, 440 Bradley Park Dr; Columbus, GA 31904-2901; Nan R. Pate; (706) 324-1392.
- The Columbus Museum, 1251 Wynnton Rd; Columbus, GA 31906-2899; (706) 649-0713 Ext 21
- Kendrick High School Young Historians, 6015 Georgetown Drive ; Columbus , GA 31907-4611
- Historic Columbus Foundation, PO Box 5312; Columbus, GA 31906-0312; (706) 322-0756
- Historic Linwood Foundation, PO Box 1057; Columbus, GA 31902-1057;(706) 321-8285
- Port Columbus National Civil War Naval Museum, PO Box 1022; Columbus, GA 31902-1022; Bruce Smith; (706) 324-7334.
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Muscogee County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Muscogee County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Muscogee County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Georgia
- Muscogee County Georgia (genealogytrails.com)
- A history of Columbus, Georgia : 1828-1928 (search.ancestry.com)
- Columbus, Geo., from its selection as a "trading town" in 1827, to its partial destruction by Wilson's raid, in 1865 : history (search.ancestry.com)
- Muscogee County, Georgia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Muscogee County, Georgia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Muscogee Co. GA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Georgia Virtual Vault (sos.state.ga.us)
- Muscogee County, Georgia History (usgwarchives.net)
- Muscogee County, Georgia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Georgia - Counties - Muscogee (cyndislist.com)
- Muscogee County, GA History (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- Muscogee Co. GAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Muscogee County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- View Index of Counties and Equivalents
- Muscogee County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Muscogee Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Military Records