Muscogee County, Georgia
Muscogee County was created on June 9, 1825 from Creek Cession of 1826. The county was named in honor of Muskogee ethnic group, to which the Creek and Seminole Nations belong.
The Muscogee County Seat is located in Columbus and in the current county government website is www.columbusga.org/.
Counties adjacent to Muscogee County are Harris County (north), Talbot County (northeast), Chattahoochee County (south), Russell County, AL (southwest), Lee County, AL (west).
Muscogee County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Appling County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Appling Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Appling County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Muscogee County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Muscogee County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Muscogee County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Muscogee County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Muscogee County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Muscogee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Muscogee County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 761, Columbus, GA 31902
- Brookstone School Young Historians, 440 Bradley Park Dr; Columbus, GA 31904-2901; Nan R. Pate; (706) 324-1392.
- The Columbus Museum, 1251 Wynnton Rd; Columbus, GA 31906-2899; (706) 649-0713 Ext 21
- Kendrick High School Young Historians, 6015 Georgetown Drive ; Columbus , GA 31907-4611
- Historic Columbus Foundation, PO Box 5312; Columbus, GA 31906-0312; (706) 322-0756
- Historic Linwood Foundation, PO Box 1057; Columbus, GA 31902-1057;(706) 321-8285
- Port Columbus National Civil War Naval Museum, PO Box 1022; Columbus, GA 31902-1022; Bruce Smith; (706) 324-7334.
- Muscogee County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Muscogee County
- Muscogee County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Muscogee County
Muscogee County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Muscogee County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Muscogee County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Muscogee County.
- Muscogee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Muscogee County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (706) 653-4353
- Land Records: 1838
- Court Records: 1838
- Muscogee County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 706.653.4331
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1838
- The Muscogee County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Muscogee County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Muscogee County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Muscogee County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Georgia
- Muscogee County Georgia (genealogytrails.com)
- A history of Columbus, Georgia : 1828-1928 (search.ancestry.com)
- Columbus, Geo., from its selection as a "trading town" in 1827, to its partial destruction by Wilson's raid, in 1865 : history (search.ancestry.com)
- Muscogee County, Georgia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Muscogee County, Georgia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Muscogee Co. GA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Georgia Virtual Vault (sos.state.ga.us)
- Muscogee County, Georgia History (usgwarchives.net)
- Muscogee County, Georgia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Georgia - Counties - Muscogee (cyndislist.com)
- Muscogee County, GA History (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- Muscogee Co. GAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Muscogee County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- View Index of Counties and Equivalents
- Muscogee County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Muscogee Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Muscogee Co. GA Military Records