Catoosa County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Catoosa County, Georgia Facts
When was Catoosa County, GA Created?
Catoosa County was established on December 5, 1853 from Walker County and Whitfield County. The county was named in honor of Chief Catoosa, a Cherokee chief.
What is the County Seat of Catoosa County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Ringgold and in the current county government website is www.catoosa.com/.
What counties are adjacent to Catoosa County, GA?
Bordering Counties are Hamilton County, TN (north), Whitfield County (east), Walker County (west)
east), Walker County (west).
Catoosa County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Catoosa County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Catoosa County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Catoosa County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Catoosa Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Catoosa County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Catoosa County, GA Census Records
What Catoosa County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Catoosa County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Catoosa County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Catoosa County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Catoosa County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Catoosa County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Georgia Census Records Research Guide
Catoosa County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
Catoosa County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Catoosa County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Catoosa County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Catoosa County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Catoosa County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (706) 935-4231
- Land Records: 1853
- Court Records: 1853
- Catoosa County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Address: 875 LaFayette Street, Ringgold, GA 30736
- Phone: 706 -935- 3511
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1853
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- Georgia Land Lotteries of 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Catoosa County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Catoosa County, GA?
A list of Catoosa County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Northwest Georgia Historical & Genealogical Society
- Catoosa County Library, Benton Place Campus, 108 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold,GA 30736
- Catoosa County Historical Society, PO Box 113; Ringgold, GA 30736-0113; Mary D. Humphreys; (706) 965-3056.
- Chickamauga Chattanooga NMP, PO Box 2128 ; Fort Oglethorpe , GA 30742-0128 ; Superintendent; (706) 866-9241.
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Catoosa County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Catoosa County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Catoosa County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Facts for Catoosa Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Catoosa Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Catoosa Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Catoosa Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Catoosa Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Catoosa Co. GA Military Records