Bartow County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Bartow County, Georgia Facts
When was Bartow County, GA Created?
Bartow County was established on December 3, 1832 from a portion of Cherokee County. (originally called Cass County after General Lewis Cass ). The county was named in honor of General Francis S. Bartow (1816 - 61), Confederate political leader, and the first Confederate general killed in the American Civil War.
What is the County Seat of Bartow County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Cartersville and in the current county government website is www.bartowga.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Bartow County, GA?
Bordering Counties are Gordon County (north), Pickens County (norteast), Cherokee County (
east), Cobb County, Paulding County (south), Polk County (southwest), Floyd County (west)
Bartow County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Bartow County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bartow County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Bartow County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Bartow Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Bartow County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Bartow County, GA Census Records
What Bartow County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Bartow County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bartow County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Bartow County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bartow County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bartow County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Georgia Census Records Research Guide
Bartow County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
Bartow County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Bartow County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bartow County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Bartow County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Bartow County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (770) 387-5025
- Land Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1853
- Bartow County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 770-387-5075
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1853
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- Georgia Land Lotteries of 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Bartow County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bartow County, GA?
A list of Bartow County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Northwest Georgia Historical & Genealogical Society
- Bartow County Genealogical Society, 101 North Erwin Street, Cartersville, GA 30120-0993; (770) 606-0706
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Bartow County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Bartow County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Bartow County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Facts for Bartow Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Bartow Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Bartow Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Bartow Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Bartow Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Bartow Co. GA Military Records
- Georgia Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Bartow County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- List of Civil War Units from Bartow County:
- 1st Confederate Regiment Georgia Volunteers, Company E1, Etowah Infantry
- 1st Confederate Regiment Georgia Volunteers, Company E2
- 1st Georgia State Line, Company F, Georgia Blues
- 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K, Etowah Guards
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company F, Davis Guards
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company G, Lewis Volunteers
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H, Rowland Highlanders
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K, Rowland Infanty
- 19th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K, Kingston Volunteers
- 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company G, Fireside Volunteers
- 23rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company A, Bartow Yankee Killers
- 36th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Glenn), Company D
- 40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company B, Bartow Sentinels
- 40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H, Veach Guards
- 40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company I, Bartow Rangers
- 41st Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company C, Acworth Invincibles
- 60th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H
- 60th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K
- 63rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company I
- Georgia Military Records (Fold3.com)