Barrow County, Georgia
Barrow County was created on July 7, 1914 from Jackson County, Walton County and Gwinnett County. The county was named in honor of "Uncle Dave" David Crenshaw Barrow Jr. (1852 - 1929), the chancellor of the University of Georgia (1906 - 29).
The Barrow County Seat is located in Winder and in the current county government website is www.barrowga.org/.
Counties adjacent to Barrow County are Hall County (north), Clarke County (east), Jackson County (east), Oconee County, Walton County (south), Gwinnett County (west).
Barrow County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1920, 1930, 1940.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Barrow County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Barrow County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Georgia (raogk.org)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- East Georgia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 117, Winder, GA 30680
- Barrow County Historical Society, P.O. Box 277, Winder 30680
- Northwest Georgia Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 5063, Rome, Georgia 30162-5063
- Etowah Valley Historical Society; PO Box 1886 ; Cartersville , GA 30120-1682 .
- Barrow County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barrow County
- Barrow County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Barrow County
Barrow County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Barrow County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Barrow County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Barrow County.
- Barrow County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Barrow County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (770) 307-3035
- Land Records: 1915
- Court Records: 1915
- Barrow County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 770 -307- 3045
- Marriage Records: 1915
- Probate Records: 1915
- The Barrow County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Barrow County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Barrow County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Barrow County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Barrow Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Barrow Co. GA Military Records