Putnam County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Putnam County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Putnam Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Putnam County Facts
- Government Website: www.putnam-fl.com
- Created Date / Origin: January 13, 1849 from Alachua County, and Saint
- County Seat: Palatka
- Named After: Benjamin A. Putnam (1801–1869), soldier during the Second Seminole War and Floridian legislator
- Bordering Counties: Clay County (north), St. Johns County (northeast), Flagler County (east), Volusia County (southeast), Marion County (southwest), Alachua County (west), Bradford County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Crescent City, Interlachen, Palatka, Pomona Park, Welaka
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- French Huguenots traded here in 1564 and later.
- During the British occupation great plantations were established along the St. John River.
- The short-lived Republic of Florida, established in 1812, included part of what is now Putnam County.
- Palatka was established as a fort during the Seminole wars.
- The region saw considerable fighting by small forces during the Civil War and after it ended there was a considerable inflow of settlers from the north.
- It is a land of beautiful lakes and rivers and has an unusual attraction at the Azalea. Ravine Gardens at Palatka.
- Follestown, a settlement on a 40,000 acre grant to Denyo Rolls, founded in 1765.
- In 1820 trading post established at Palatka by James Marver and others.
Putnam County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Putnam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Putnam County Archives and History Commission, 518 St. Johns Ave., Palatka, FL 32077
- Putnam County Historical Society, P.O. Box 35; Palatka, FL 32178-0035
- Putnam County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 418, Palatka, FL 32078
- Putnam County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Putnam County
- Putnam County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Putnam County
- USGenWeb Archives for Putnam County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Putnam County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Putnam County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Putnam County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Putnam county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Putnam County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 758, Palatka, FL 32178-0758 or 410 St. Johns Avenue, Palatka, FL 32177
- Putnam County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (386) 326-7600
- Marriage Records: 1849
- Land Records: 1849
- Probate Records: 1849
- Court Records: 1849
- Putnam County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Putnam County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Putnam County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Putnam County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Putnam Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Putnam Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Putnam Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Putnam Co. FL Census Records
Putnam Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Putnam Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Putnam Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Putnam Co. FL General and History Websites
Putnam Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Putnam Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Putnam Co. FL Military Records
Putnam Co. FL Schools & Directories