Lee County, Florida
Lee County was created on May 13, 1887 from Monroe County. This county was named for Robert E. Lee (1807–1870), commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia in the American Civil War.
The Lee County Seat is located in Fort Myers also, the county government website is www.leegov.com.
Areas bordering to Lee County are Charlotte County (north), Glades County (northeast), Collier County (southeast), Hendry County (east).
Incorporated Cities and Towns located in Lee County include Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel.
Lee County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Lee County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lee Co. Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This county was visited and mapped by early Spanish explorers.
- During the Seminole War several forts were built, including Fort Harvey, later rebuilt as Fort Myers.
- The city of the same name which grew on this site was the winter home of the late Thomas A. Edison.
Lee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida (raogk.org)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lee County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 150153, Cape Coral, FL 33915-0153
- Cape Coral Historical Society, 4707 SE Fifth Ave, Cape Coral, FL 33904
- Southwest Florida Historical Society, P. O. Box 1362, Ft. Myers, FL 33902
- Bonita Springs Genealogy Club,
PO Box 366471, Bonita Springs, FL 34136
- Lehigh Acres Genealogical Society,
PO Box 965, Lehigh Acres, FL 33970-0965
- Lee County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lee County
- Lee County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lee County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lee County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Lee County Courthouse and Government Records
Lee County Courthouse
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Lee County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
Old Lee County Courthouse
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Lee County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
- Lee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P. O. Box 2469, Ft. Myers, FL 33902 or 2075 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Ft. Myers, FL 33901
- Lee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (239) 533-5000
- Marriage Records: 188?
- Land Records: ?
- Probate Records: ?
- Court Records: ?
- Lee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Lee County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Lee County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lee County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Lee County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lee Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lee Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lee Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lee Co. FL Census Records
Lee Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lee Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Lee Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lee Co. FL General and History Websites
Lee Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Lee Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lee Co. FL Military Records
Lee Co. FL Schools & Directories