Hillsborough County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Hillsborough County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Hillsborough Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Hillsborough County Facts
- Government Website: www.hillsboroughcounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: January 25, 1834 from Alachua County and unorganized territory
- County Seat: Tampa
- Named After: Wills Hill, 1st Marquess of Downshire (1718–1793), former Secretary of State of the American Colonies
- Bordering Counties: Pasco County (north), Polk County (east), Hardee County (southeast corner), Manatee County (south), Pinellas County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Plant City, Tampa, Temple, Terrace
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Robert Ambrister, who was executed in 1818, by order of General Andrew Jackson, visited this section probably to promote a Florida Indian protectorate under the British, in 1817.
- Attempts to establish missions here met with murderous op-position from the Indians.
- The Spanish named Tampa Bay "Espiritii Sants."
- The Indian town of "Tampa" was the site of the present City of Tampa. The modern city was built around Fort Brooke, an army post to protect it against Seminole ravages.
- Many famous Indian chiefs embarked here on their final exile from Florida.
- Tampa was captured by Union forces in 1864, but there was little fighting in this section.
- This was the point of embarkation for American troops, Cuba-bound during the Spanish-American War. Hillsborough is the leading strawberry growing county of the State.
- John Mercer Brooke,, inventor, the man who superintended the plating of the world's first successful fighting ironclad, the Virginia, was born at Fort Brooke, December 18, 1826.
Hillsborough County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hillsborough County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- East Hillsborough Historical Society, 605 North Collins Street, Plant City 33566-3321; (813) 757-9226
- Hillsborough County Historical Commission, Museum, History and Genealogy Library, County Courthouse, Tampa, FL 33602
- Tampa Historical Society, 245 S. Hyde Park Ave., Tampa, FL 33606; 813-259-1111
- Tampa Bay History Center, 225 S. Franklin St., Tampa, FL 33600; 813-228-0097
- Greater Brandon Genealogical and Historical Society, Post Office Box 2635, Valrico, FL 33595-2635
- Florida Genealogical Society of Tampa, PO Box 18624, Tampa, FL 33679-8624
- South Bay Genealogical Society, PO Box 5202, Sun City Center, FL 33571
- Hillsborough County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hillsborough County
- Hillsborough County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hillsborough County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hillsborough County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Hillsborough County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Hillsborough County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Hillsborough County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Hillsborough County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse, a small log cabin, was burned by Indians during the Second Seminole War
- Hillsborough County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 1110, Tampa, FL 33601 or County Center, 13th Flr., 601 E. Kennedy Blvd., Tampa, FL 33602
- Hillsborough County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (813) 276-8100
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Land Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1845
- Court Records: 1846
- Hillsborough County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Hillsborough County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hillsborough County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hillsborough County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hillsborough Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hillsborough Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Census Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hillsborough Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hillsborough Co. FL General and History Websites
Hillsborough Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Hillsborough Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hillsborough Co. FL Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Records for Florida
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Hillsborough County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Hillsborough Co. FL Schools & Directories