Hillsborough County, Florida
Hillsborough County was created on January 25, 1834 from Alachua County and unorganized territory. This county was named for Wills Hill, 1st Marquess of Downshire (1718–1793), former Secretary of State of the American Colonies.
The Hillsborough County Seat is located in Tampa also, the county government website is www.hillsboroughcounty.org/.
Areas bordering to Hillsborough County are Pasco County (north), Polk County (east), Hardee County (southeast corner), Manatee County (south), Pinellas County (west).
Incorporated Cities and Towns located in Hillsborough County include .
Hillsborough County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hillsborough County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Hillsborough County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840 (as Florida Territory), 1850, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hillsborough Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hillsborough Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hillsborough Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Hillsborough Co. Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Robert Ambrister, who was executed in 1818, by order of General Andrew Jackson, visited this section probably to promote a Florida Indian protectorate under the British, in 1817.
- Attempts to establish missions here met with murderous op-position from the Indians.
- The Spanish named Tampa Bay "Espiritii Sants."
- The Indian town of "Tampa" was the site of the present City of Tampa. The modern city was built around Fort Brooke, an army post to protect it against Seminole ravages.
- Many famous Indian chiefs embarked here on their final exile from Florida.
- Tampa was captured by Union forces in 1864, but there was little fighting in this section.
- This was the point of embarkation for American troops, Cuba-bound during the Spanish-American War. Hillsborough is the leading strawberry growing county of the State.
- John Mercer Brooke,, inventor, the man who superintended the plating of the world's first successful fighting ironclad, the Virginia, was born at Fort Brooke, December 18, 1826.
Hillsborough County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hillsborough County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida (raogk.org)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- East Hillsborough Historical Society, 605 North Collins Street, Plant City 33566-3321; (813) 757-9226
- Hillsborough County Historical Commission, Museum, History and Genealogy Library, County Courthouse, Tampa, FL 33602
- Tampa Historical Society, 245 S. Hyde Park Ave., Tampa, FL 33606; 813-259-1111
- Tampa Bay History Center, 225 S. Franklin St., Tampa, FL 33600; 813-228-0097
- Greater Brandon Genealogical and Historical Society, Post Office Box 2635, Valrico, FL 33595-2635
- Florida Genealogical Society of Tampa, PO Box 18624, Tampa, FL 33679-8624
- South Bay Genealogical Society, PO Box 5202, Sun City Center, FL 33571
- Hillsborough County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hillsborough County
- Hillsborough County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hillsborough County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hillsborough County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Hillsborough County Courthouse and Government Records
Hillsborough County Courthouse
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Hillsborough County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
Old Hillsborough County Courthouse
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Hillsborough County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Hillsborough County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse, a small log cabin, was burned by Indians during the Second Seminole War
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
- Hillsborough County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 1110, Tampa, FL 33601 or County Center, 13th Flr., 601 E. Kennedy Blvd., Tampa, FL 33602
- Hillsborough County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (813) 276-8100
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Land Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1845
- Court Records: 1846
- Hillsborough County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Hillsborough County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Hillsborough County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hillsborough County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hillsborough County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hillsborough Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hillsborough Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Census Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hillsborough Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Hillsborough Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hillsborough Co. FL General and History Websites
Hillsborough Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Hillsborough Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hillsborough Co. FL Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Records for Florida
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Hillsborough County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Hillsborough Co. FL Schools & Directories