Highlands County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Highlands County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Highlands Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Highlands County Facts
- Government Website: www.hcbcc.net/
- Created Date / Origin: April 23, 1921 from DeSoto County
- County Seat: Sebring
- Named After: Named for the county's hilly terrain
- Bordering Counties: Osceola County (north), Okeechobee County (east), Glades County (south), Charlotte County (southwest), De Soto County (west), Hardee County (west), Polk County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Avon Park, Sebring, Lake Placid
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This county lies in the beautiful rolling hill and lake section of Florida.
- Through influence of the great Librarian, Melvil Dewey, name of Lake Stearns (incorporated December 1, 1925) was changed to Lake Placid and under that name incorporated June 6, 1927.
Highlands County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Highlands County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Highlands County Genealogical Society, c/o Lake Placid Library 47 Park Dr. Lake Placid, FL 33852
- Lake Placid Historical Society Depot Museum, 12 W. Park St. Lake Placid, Florida 33852; 863-465-1771
- Sebring Historical Society, 321 West Center Avenue, Sebring, FL 33870; 863-471-2522
- Highlands County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Highlands County
- Highlands County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Highlands County
- USGenWeb Archives for Highlands County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Highlands County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Highlands County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Highlands County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Highlands county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Highlands County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 590 South Commerce Avenue, Sebring, FL 33870-3867
- Highlands County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (863) 402-6564
- Marriage Records: 1921
- Land Records: 1921
- Probate Records: 1921
- Court Records: 1921
- Highlands County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Highlands County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Highlands County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Highlands County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Highlands Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Highlands Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Highlands Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Highlands Co. FL Census Records
Highlands Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Highlands Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Highlands Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Highlands Co. FL General and History Websites
Highlands Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Highlands Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Highlands Co. FL Military Records
Highlands Co. FL Schools & Directories