Brevard County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Brevard County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Brevard Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Brevard County Facts
- Government Website: www.brevardcounty.us/
- Created Date / Origin: January 6, 1844 from Mosquito County (originally named Formerly St. Lucie County until January 6, 1855)
- County Seat: Titusville
- Named After: Theodore Washington Brevard, early settler and later state comptroller from 1853 to 1861
- Bordering Counties: Volusia County (north), Indian River County (south), Osceola County (southwest), Orange County (west), Seminole County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Cape Canaveral, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Melbourne, Palm Bay, Rockledge, Satellite Beach, Titusville, West Melbourne Grant-Valkaria, Indialantic, Malabar, Melbourne Beach, Melbourne Village, Palm Shores
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- It was the scene of early Spanish and French exploration and temporary colonization. One of the early Spanish Missions was established there.
- Blockade runners used its harbors and inlets during the Civil War.
- Ponce de Leon and his men first sighted Florida March 27, 1513, the point observed being Cape Canaveral.
- Some 200 French Huguenots surrendered to Menendez in this area, November, 1565.
Brevard County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Brevard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- North Brevard Historical Society, 801 S. Washington Ave., P. O. Box 6199, Titusville, FL 32782-6199; 407-269-3658
- Genealogical Society of North Brevard, Inc., P. O. Box 897, Titusville, FL 32780
- Genealogical Society of South Brevard, P. O. Box 786, Melbourne, FL 32902-0786
- South Brevard Historical Society, P. O. Box 1064, Melbourne, FL 32902-1064;
- Brevard Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1123, Cocoa, FL 32922
- Brevard Heritage Council, 870 Indionola Dr., Merritt Island, FL 32953
- Brevard County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Brevard County
- Brevard County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Brevard County
- USGenWeb Archives for Brevard County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Brevard County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Brevard County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Brevard County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Brevard County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Record Loss, unknown causes
- Brevard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 999, Titusville, FL 32781-0999 or 400 South Street, Titusville, FL 32780
- Brevard County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (321) 637-2017
- Marriage Records: 1868
- Land Records: 1871
- Probate Records: 1877
- Court Records: 1879
- Brevard County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Brevard County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Brevard County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Brevard County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Brevard Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Brevard Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Brevard Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Brevard Co. FL Census Records
Brevard Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Brevard Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Brevard Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Brevard Co. FL General and History Websites
Brevard Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Brevard Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Brevard Co. FL Military Records
Brevard Co. FL Schools & Directories