Hartford County, Connecticut
Genealogy and Facts
Hartford County was established on May 10, 1666 and was formed as One of four original counties created in Connecticut. The county was named after Hertfordshire, England. The County Seat was Hartford (1666-1960).
Areas adjacent to Hartford County are Hampden County, Massachusetts (north), Tolland County (east), New London County (southeast), Middlesex County (south), New Haven County (southwest), Litchfield County (west), New London County (southeast).
Cities and towns located in the county include Avon, Berlin, Bloomfield, Bristol (consolidated city-town), Burlington, Canton, East Granby, East Hartford, East Windsor, Enfield, Farmington, Glastonbury, Granby, Hartford (consolidated city-town), Hartland, Manchester, Marlborough, New Britain (consolidated city-town), Newington, Plainville, Rocky Hill, Simsbury, South Windsor, Southington, Suffield, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor and Windsor Locks.
Hartford County vital records can be found at the Connecticut Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Connecticut for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Hartford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Connecticut Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application or Town or City Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Hartford County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hartford Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hartford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hartford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hartford County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Hartford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Connecticut Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Connecticut State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Avon Historical Society, 8 East Main Street, Avon, CT 06001; Phone:(860) 678-7621
- Bristol Historical Society, P.O. Box 1393, 98 Summer Street, Bristol, CT 06011-1393; Phone: 860/583-6309
- Canton Historical Society and Museum, 11 Front Street Collinsville, CT 06019; (860) 693-2793
- East Granby Historical Society, P.O. Box 188, East Granby, CT 06026
- Enfield Historical Society, 1294 Enfield St., P.O. Box 586, Enfield, CT 06083; Phone:(860) 745-1729
- Farmington Historical Society, 138 Main Street, Farmington, CT 06032; Phone:(860) 678-1645
- Glastonbury Historical Society, P.O. Box 46, 1944 Main St, Glastonbury, CT 06033; Phone 860-633-6890
- Historical Society of East Hartford. 307 Burnside Avenue, East Hartford, CT 06108; (860) 568-2884
- Hartland Historical Society, 141 Center Street, West Hartland, CT 06091; (860) 379-9722
- Historical Society Of East Hartford, PO Box 380166, East Hartford 06138-0166
- Manchester Historical Society, 175 Pine Street, Manchester, CT 06040; (860) 647-9983
- Newington Historical Society, 679 Willard Ave, Newington, CT 06111; Ph 860-666-7118
- Plainville Historic Society, 29 Pierce Street, Plainville, CT 06062; Phone:(860) 747-6577
- Rocky Hill Historical Society, P.O. Box 185, 785 Old Main Street, Rocky Hill CT 06067-0185; Telephone: (860) 563-6704
- Saybrook Colony Founders Association, P.O. Box 1635, Old Saybrook, CT 06475-1000
- Simsbury Historical Society, 800 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury, CT 06070; 860-658-2500
- South Windsor Historical Society, 771 Ellington Road, South Windsor, CT 06074; Phone:(860) 291-9958
- Suffield Historical Society, 232 South Main Street, Suffield, CT 06078; Phone:(860) 668-5256
- West Hartford Historical Society, 227 South Main Street, West Hartford, CT 06107; Phone:(860) 521-5362
- Wethersfield Historical Society, 150 Main Street, Wethersfield, CT 06109; Phone:(860) 529-7656
- Windsor Historical Society, 96 Palisado Avenue, Windsor, CT 06095; (860) 688-3813
- Wintonbury Historical Society, P.O. Box 7454, Bloomfield, Connecticut 06002
- Hartford County, Connecticut Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hartford County
- Hartford County, Connecticut Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hartford County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hartford County (usgwarchives.net)
Hartford County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the importance of Hartford County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Connecticut courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many Connecticut citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Hartford County court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
NOTE: Counties were abolished officially in 1959 though their purpose had been chiefly to define county court districts. For genealogical research purposes, counties become necessary when using the federal census returns, since they are all cataloged by county.
All deeds, vital records, and probate records for all Connecticut towns are available to 1900 on microfilm at the Connecticut State Library or through the FHL. See also Connecticut Towns and Their Establishment
Taxes were levied for personal property and land through most of Connecticut's history. The town assessor (or lister) made annual lists or rates of all taxables. This generated a considerable number of tax lists across time, but the Connecticut State Library has a list of various tax records still at the town clerk's offices. The Connecticut Historical Society and the genealogical collections throughout the state have some records.
Those matters not in the realm of the superior court were heard by the county courts (initially called prerogative or common pleas). The county court, begun in 1666, was abolished in 1955, and its functions were divided between justice courts and superior courts. Most of the county records, to its abolition date, are at the Conneticut State Library.
Hartford County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Hartford County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Hartford Co. CT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hartford Co. CT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Connecticut
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Connecticut Death Records (1949 to 2010) (archives.com) Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Connecticut Marriage Records (1959 to 2010) (archives.com) Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Connecticut Divorce Records (1960 to 1997) (archives.com) Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Connecticut, Births and Christenings, 1649-1906 (familysearch.org)
- Connecticut, Marriages, 1729-1867 (familysearch.org)
- Connecticut, Marriage Index, 1959-2001 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut Divorce Index, 1968-1997 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut, Deaths and Burials Index, 1650-1934 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Hartford Co. CT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hartford Co. CT Census Records
Hartford Co. CT Church & Cemeteries
- See Also Statewide Cemetery Records for Connecticut and Statewide Church & Bible Records for Connecticut
- List of Burials, Center Church Burying Ground, Hartford, Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- Wethersfield inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Hartford Co., Connecticut Graves (findagrave.com)
- Hartford County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Hartford Co., Connecticut Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Hartford County, Connecticut (topozone.com)
- Hartford Co., Connecticut Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Records of Rev. Roger Viets, rector of St. Andrew's, Simsbury, Conn. : and missionary from the Society for the Propagation of (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Hartford County, Connecticut (topozone.com)
- Hartford County, Connecticut Church Books (amazon.com)
Hartford Co. CT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hartford Co. CT General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Connecticut
- Hartford County, Connecticut Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Trips by trolley around Hartford (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of ancient Wethersfield, Connecticut : comprising the present towns of Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, and Newington : an (search.ancestry.com)
- Around the Horn in '49; Journal of the Hartford Union Mining and Trading Company (search.ancestry.com)
- The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884 (search.ancestry.com)
- Hartford County, Connecticut: Memorial History 1633-1884,Volume I-II (search.ancestry.com)
- Ecclesiastical and other sketches of Southington, Conn. (search.ancestry.com)
- Hartford County, Connecticut Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Hartford Co. CT Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Hartford County, Connecticut (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Connecticut - Counties - Hartford (cyndislist.com)
- Hartford County Connecticut (genealogytrails.com)
- Hartford Co. CTGenweb (ctgenweb.org)
- Hartford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Hartford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Hartford Co. CT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hartford Co. CT Military Records
Hartford Co. CT Schools & Directories
- New Britain, Connecticut Directories, 1888-93 (search.ancestry.com)
- Bristol, Connecticut City Directories, 1882-93 (search.ancestry.com)
- Southington, Connecticut Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Connecticut. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.