Boulder County, Colorado
Boulder County was founded on November 1, 1861 as one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado. The county was named for the abundance of granite boulders along Boulder Creek.
The Boulder County Seat is situated in Boulder and the county government website is http://www.bouldercounty.org
Places adjoining Boulder County happen to be Larimer County (north), Weld County (east), City and County of Broomfield (south), Jefferson County (south), Gilpin County (south), Grand County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Boulder County include City of Boulder, Erie, Jamestown, Lafayette, Longmont, Louisville, Lyons, Nederland, Superior, Ward
Boulder County vital records can be found at the Colorado Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Boulder County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Colorado Birth Certificate, Marriage Verification, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Boulder County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Boulder Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Boulder Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Boulder Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Boulder County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Boulder County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Colorado Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Colorado (raogk.org)
- Colorado State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boulder Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3246, Boulder CO 80307-3246
- Boulder Historical Society, 1206 Euclid Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302; Phone: (303) 449-3464
- Longmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 6081, Longmont, CO 80501-2077
- Longmont Heritage Association, 375 Kimbark St., Longmont, CO 80501-5524
- Palatines to America, Colorado Chapter, 4612 Hampshire St., Boulder, CO 80301-4211;Tel: 303-530-9525
- Boulder County, Colorado Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Boulder County
- Boulder County, Colorado Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Boulder County
- USGenWeb Archives for Boulder County (usgwarchives.net)
Boulder County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Boulder County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Colorado courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Colorado citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Boulder County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide men and women in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
The below facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Boulder County. The years suggested below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county. Boulder was called Jackson County when it was part of Jefferson Territory.
- Boulder County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2020 13th st; PO Box 471, Boulder, CO 80302
- Boulder County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Land Records: 1864
- Boulder County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1864 ; Estate files from 1862 are housed at the Colorado State Archives.
- Court Records: 1864
- Boulder County Public Health
- Birth / Death Records: 1880–1909 / 1880–1903 ; City Hall in Boulder.
Boulder County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Boulder County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Boulder County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Boulder Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Boulder Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Colorado
- Colorado Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of marriage records from three counties in Colorado. Taken from microfilm copies of original county documents, each record provides spouses' names, marriage date, and county of residence. The database lists the names of more than 37,000 men and women. Records for Boulder County span from 27 June 1864 through 1900.
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Boulder Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Boulder Co. CO Census Records
Boulder Co. CO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Boulder Co. CO Church & Bible Records
Boulder Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Boulder Co. CO General and History Websites
Boulder Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Boulder Co. CO Military Records
Boulder Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- Boulder County directory : issued September, 1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boulder city directory. (search.ancestry.com)
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)