Boulder County, Colorado
Genealogy, History & Facts
Boulder County, Colorado Facts
When was Boulder County, CO Created?
Boulder County was established on November 1, 1861 as one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado. The county was named for the abundance of granite boulders along Boulder Creek.
What is the County Seat of Boulder County, CO?
The County Seat is located in Boulder and the county government website is http://www.bouldercounty.org
What counties are adjacent to Boulder County, CO?
Bordering Counties are Larimer County (north), Weld County (east), City and County of Broomfield (south), Jefferson County (south), Gilpin County (south), Grand County (west).
What cities and towns are in Boulder County, CO?
Cities and towns located in the County include City of Boulder, Erie, Jamestown, Lafayette, Longmont, Louisville, Lyons, Nederland, Superior, Ward
Boulder County, CO Vital Records
Where can find Boulder County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Boulder County vital records can be found at the Colorado Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Boulder County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Colorado Birth Certificate, Marriage Verification, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Boulder County, CO Census Records
What Boulder County, CO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Boulder County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Boulder Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Boulder Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Boulder Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Boulder County, CO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Boulder County, CO?
A list of Boulder County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Colorado Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Colorado Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Colorado (raogk.org)
- Colorado State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boulder Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3246, Boulder CO 80307-3246
- Boulder Historical Society, 1206 Euclid Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302; Phone: (303) 449-3464
- Longmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 6081, Longmont, CO 80501-2077
- Longmont Heritage Association, 375 Kimbark St., Longmont, CO 80501-5524
- Palatines to America, Colorado Chapter, 4612 Hampshire St., Boulder, CO 80301-4211;Tel: 303-530-9525
- Boulder County, Colorado Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Boulder County, Colorado Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Boulder County (usgwarchives.net)
Boulder County, CO Courthouse and Government Records
Boulder County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Boulder County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Boulder County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Colorado Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.Boulder was called Jackson County when it was part of Jefferson Territory.
- Boulder County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2020 13th st; PO Box 471, Boulder, CO 80302
- Boulder County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Land Records: 1864
- Boulder County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1864 ; Estate files from 1862 are housed at the Colorado State Archives.
- Court Records: 1864
- Boulder County Public Health
- Birth / Death Records: 1880–1909 / 1880–1903 ; City Hall in Boulder.
Where can I connect with other Boulder County, CO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Boulder County, CO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Boulder County.
Boulder Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Boulder Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of marriage records from three counties in Colorado. Taken from microfilm copies of original county documents, each record provides spouses' names, marriage date, and county of residence. The database lists the names of more than 37,000 men and women. Records for Boulder County span from 27 June 1864 through 1900.
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
Boulder Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Boulder Co. CO Census Records
Boulder Co. CO Cemeteries & Church Records
Boulder Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Boulder Co. CO General and History Websites
Boulder Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Boulder Co. CO Military Records
Boulder Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- Boulder County directory : issued September, 1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boulder city directory. (search.ancestry.com)
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)