Arapahoe County, Colorado
Genealogy, History & Facts
Arapahoe County, Colorado Facts
When was Arapahoe County, CO Created?
Arapahoe County was established on November 1, 1861 as one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado.
What is the County Seat of Arapahoe County, CO?
The County Seat is located in Littleton and the county government website is http://www.co.arapahoe.co.us/
What counties are adjacent to Arapahoe County, CO?
Bordering Counties are Saguache County, Huerfano County, Costilla County (southeasat), Conejos County, Rio Grande County.
What cities and towns are in Arapahoe County, CO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Aurora, Bennett, Bow Mar, Centennial, Cherry Hills Village, Columbine Valley, Deer Trail, Englewood, Foxfield, Glendale, Greenwood Village, Littleton, Sheridan
Arapahoe County, CO Vital Records
Where can find Arapahoe County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Arapahoe County vital records can be found at the Colorado Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Arapahoe County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Colorado Birth Certificate, Marriage Verification, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Arapahoe County, CO Census Records
What Arapahoe County, CO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Arapahoe County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Arapahoe Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Arapahoe Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Arapahoe Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Arapahoe County, CO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Arapahoe County, CO?
A list of Arapahoe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Colorado Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Colorado Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Colorado (raogk.org)
- Colorado State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Aurora Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 31732, Aurora, CO 80041-0732
- Columbine Genealogical And Historical Society, P.O. Box 2074, Littleton CO 80161-2074
- Littleton Historical Society, 6028 S Gallup St., Littleton CO 80120-2703; (303) 795-3950
- Sheridan Historical Society, 4101 S. Federal Blvd., Sheridan Colorado 80110-5399
- Arapahoe County, Colorado Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Arapahoe County (usgwarchives.net)
Arapahoe County, CO Courthouse and Government Records
Arapahoe County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Arapahoe County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Arapahoe County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Colorado Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Arapahoe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5334 S Prince Street, Littleton, CO 80166-0001
- Arapahoe County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1860–1903
- Land Records: 1861
- Arapahoe County Clerk of Courts
Most records for Denver prior to 1902 have been deposited with the Colorado State Archives. Early land records, surveys, post offices, and territorial government papers are extant for Arapahoe County, and some are located in both the Colorado and Kansas historical societies. However, typical county records such as probate or county court minutes do not
exist for the early territorial period of the county before state formation.
- Probate Records: 1902
- Court Records: 1902
- Alamosa County Public Health Department
- Birth / Death Records: 1872–1902 / 1887–1902; At Colorado Department of Health, Vital Records Section.
Where can I connect with other Arapahoe County, CO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Arapahoe County, CO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Arapahoe County.
Arapahoe Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Arapahoe Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of marriage records from three counties in Colorado. Taken from microfilm copies of original county documents, each record provides spouses' names, marriage date, and county of residence. The database lists the names of more than 37,000 men and women. This database includes marriages for Arapahoe County from 16 October 1859 through 1900.
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
Arapahoe Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Arapahoe Co. CO Census Records
Arapahoe Co. CO Cemeteries & Church Records
Arapahoe Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Arapahoe Co. CO General and History Websites
Arapahoe Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Arapahoe Co. CO Military Records
Arapahoe Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)