Santa Barbara County, California
Genealogy, History & Facts
Santa Barbara County, California Facts
When was Santa Barbara County, CA Created?
Santa Barbara County was established on February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties . This county was named for the city of Santa Barbara, itself Spanish for Saint Barbara.
What is the County Seat of Santa Barbara County, CA?
The County Seat is located in Santa Barbara also, the county government website is www.countyofsb.org/
What counties are adjacent to Santa Barbara County, CA?
Bordering Counties are San Luis Obispo County (north), Kern County (northeast), Ventura County (east) .
What cities and towns are in Santa Barbara County, CA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Ballard, Buellton, Carpinteria, Casmalia, Cuyama, Garey, Gaviota, Goleta, Guadalupe, Hollister Ranch, Hope Ranch, Isla Vista, Lompoc, Los Alamos, Los Olivos, Mission Canyon, Mission Hills, Montecito, New Cuyama, Orcutt, Painted Cave, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, Sisquoc, Solvang, Summerland, Toro Canyon, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Vandenberg Village, Ventucopa .
Santa Barbara County, CA Vital Records
Where can find Santa Barbara County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Santa Barbara County vital records can be found at the California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1905, marriage records that occurred from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999, divorce records that occurred between 1962 and June, 1984. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Santa Barbara County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for California Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Local Registrar of Births and Death, 345 Camino Del Remedio, Santa Barbara, CA 93110; Office (805) 681-5150, 5151
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives California Marriage Project
- California Birth Index 1905 to 1995 from the California Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995
- California Marriage Records 1960 to 1985 from the California Department of Health
- California, County Marriages, 1850-1952
- California Marriages, 1850-1877
- California, Marriage Index, 1960-1985
- California Divorce Index, 1966-1984
- Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011
- California Death Index 1940 to 1997
- California Death Index, 1940-1997
- California, World War I Death Announcements, 1918-1921
- California Biographical Collection: Responses to Vital Record Inquiries, 1822-1964
Santa Barbara County, CA Census Records
What Santa Barbara County, CA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Santa Barbara County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Santa Barbara Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Santa Barbara Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Santa Barbara Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another California census is the California State Census in 1852. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also California Census Records Research Guide.
Santa Barbara County, CA Courthouse and Government Records
SantaBarbara County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Santa Barbara County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Santa Barbara County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed. See Also California Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Land was added from San Louis Obispo County in 1852 and 1872.
Old Santa Barbara County Courthouse
- Santa Barbara County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Santa Barbara County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 1100 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 ; Mail to: P. O. Box 159, Santa Barbara, CA 93102-0159
- Phone: (805) 568-2250
- Birth / Death Records: 1859 / 1873
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Land Records: 1844 (Alcalde records included from 1779. See Land Records.)
- Santa Barbara County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1850
- Early California Wills
- BLM Land Records
Santa Barbara County, CA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Santa Barbara County, CA?
A list of Santa Barbara County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Californiia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Santa Barbara County Genealogical Society, 316 Castillo Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101; Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1303, Goleta, CA 93116-1303
- California State Archives, Office of Secretary of State, 1020 O Street, Room 130, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California State Library, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco 94105
- California Genealogical Society And Library, 2201 Broadway, Suite LL2, Oakland 94612-3017
Where can I connect with other Santa Barbara County, CA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Santa Barbara County, CA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Santa Barbara County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Santa Barbara Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Santa Barbara Co. CA Cemeteries & Church Records
Santa Barbara Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Santa Barbara Co. CA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for California
- Santa Barbara County History (rootsweb.ancestry.com) A Memorial and Biographical History of the Counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Ventura, California, 1891
- History of Santa Barbara County, California : from its earliest settlement to the present time (search.ancestry.com)
- A memorial and biographical history of the counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura, California : illustrated : c (search.ancestry.com)
- Santa Barbara Travel Guide, late 1800s (search.ancestry.com)
- Santa Barbara and Montecito : past and present (search.ancestry.com)
- Santa Barbara : a guide to the Channel City and its environs (search.ancestry.com)
- Santa Barbara County, California Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Santa Barbara County, California Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Santa Barbara Co. CA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Santa Barbara County, California (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - California - Counties - Santa Barbara (cyndislist.com)
- Santa Barbara County California (genealogytrails.com)
- Santa Barbara Co. CAGenweb (cagenweb.com)
- Santa Barbara County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Santa Barbara Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Santa Barbara Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Santa Barbara Co. CA Military Records