Nevada County, California Genealogy
Nevada County, California genealogy and family history research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you trace your California ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Nevada County Quick Facts
- Government Website: http://www.mynevadacounty.com
- County Seat: Nevada City
- Created Date / Origin: April 25, 1851 from Yuba County
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of Nevada County was in Yuba County from 1850 to 1851 when it was separated to create Nevada County.
- Territory was in Yuba County from 1850 to 1852 when it was added to Nevada County.
- Territory in Yuba County from 1850 to 1852 was in Sierra County from 1852 to 1856, when it was added to Nevada County.
- Named After: the mining town of Nevada City, a name derived from the term “Sierra Nevada.” The word nevada in Spanish means “snowy” or “snowcovered.”
- Bordering Counties: Placer County (south), Yuba County (west), Sierra County (north), Washoe County, Nevada (east)
- Cities & Towns: Grass Valley, Truckee, Nevada City
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Alta Sierra, Lake of the Pines, Lake Wildwood, Penn Valley
- Other Communities: Rough and Ready, Washington
Nevada County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Nevada County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also California Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Nevada County Genealogical Society, PO Box 176, Cedar Ridge, CA 95924
- Nevada County Historical Society
- Truckee-Donner Histsorical Society, P.O. Box 893, Truckee, CA. 96160; (530) 582-0893
- Searls Library (Archive of Nevada County), 214 Church Street, Nevada City, CA 95959; Open Mon - Sat 1pm-4pm; (530) 265-5910
- Doris Foley Library for Historical Research, 211 N. Pine Street, Nevada City, CA 95959; Open Thurs - Sat 10-4 (closed during lunch); (530) 265-4606
- Nevada County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Nevada County
- Nevada County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Nevada County
- USGenWeb Archives for Nevada County (usgwarchives.net)
Nevada County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the importance of Nevada County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in California courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many California citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Nevada County court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Courthouse History - The first courthouse on this site in Nevada City was built in 1856, damaged by fire the same year, and then rebuilt. When fire again damaged the courthouse in 1863, a new courthouse was built on the same site. The lobby of the building, which was extensively remodeled in the 1930s and given an Art Deco façade, houses a collection of photographs of the courthouse as well as other exhibits. It remains in use.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following indicates whatvital, land, probate, and court records are in Nevada county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth. Land was added from counties Yuba (1852) and Sierra (1856). The first courthouse was damaged by fire in 1856. Fire again damaged the courthouse in 1863.
- Nevada County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Nevada County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 950 Maidu Avenue, Nevada City, CA 95959-6100
- Phone: (530) 265-1221
- Birth / Death Records: 1873
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1856
- Nevada County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1856
- Court Records: 1856
- Nevada County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
California Historical Records
- Databases include California Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; California Birth, Marriage & Death Records; California Voter Lists & Census Records; California Immigration & Emigration Records; California Obituary Records; California Military Records; California Family Tree Records; California Pictures; California Stories, Memories & Histories; California Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Nevada County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Nevada County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Nevada Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers, Books & Publications Links for California
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Quickly find names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements and other items published in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. New content added monthly!
- Nevada County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Nevada County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Nevada Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Nevada Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Nevada Co. CA Census Records
Nevada Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Nevada Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Nevada Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Nevada Co. CA General and History Websites
Nevada Co. CA Immigration & Naturalization
Nevada Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nevada Co. CA Military Records
Nevada Co. CA Schools & Directories