Garland County, Arkansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Garland County, Arkansas Facts
When was Garland County, AR Created?
Garland County was established on April 5, 1873 and was formed from Montgomery County, Hot Spring County and Saline County. Other county boundry changes occured when Boundary with Montgomery changed 23 February 1917. The county was named in honor of Augustus Hill Garland (1832–1899), U.S. Senator and 11th Governor of Arkansas.
What is the County Seat of Garland County, AR?
The County Seat is located in Hot Springs and in addition the county government website is www.garlandcounty.org/
What counties are adjacent to Garland County, AR?
Bordering Counties are Perry County (north), Saline County (east), Hot Spring County (south), Montgomery County (west), Yell County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Garland County, AR?
Cities and towns located in the County include Hot Springs, Mountain Pine, Fountain Lake, Lonsdale, Hot Springs Village, Lake Hamilton, Piney, Rockwell, Royal.
Garland County, AR Vital Records
Where can find Garland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Garland County vital records can be found at the Arkansas Deptartment of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to the Garland County health department to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arkansas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Garland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Garland Co. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Death Certificates to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Arkansas Marriage Project
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1880-1893
- Arkansas Marriages, 1837-1944
- Arkansas Divorce Index, 1923-1939
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957
- Arkansas Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages to 1850
- Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992
- Arkansas, Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950
Garland County, AR Census Records
What Garland County, AR census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Garland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Garland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Garland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Garland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free online and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Arkansas Census Records Research Guide
Garland County, AR Courthouse and Government Records
Garland County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Garland County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Garland County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Arkansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at ?, unless otherwise noted.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. The records "were complete until Feb. 25, 1905, when fire and heat charred, damaged, or destroyed everything except tax books of 1904 then in the hands of the collector. The deed and mortgage records, except two, have been recopied or reproduced as they were left after the fire, edges being badly burned and only portions legible. As records will have considerable value, these consist of books designated by alphabet (26) and about 39 by number, 1 to 39. Circuit court records were totally destroyed, 10 books; chancery records practically destroyed, book I has been recopied, 8 (A to H) being burned. Probate records all except last one destroyed; so also the county court records, the marriage license records were partially destroyed, one will record burned, one partially restored, mechanic's lien judgement record destroyed, probate docket partially restored, pending cases in chancery court partially saved, all law and probate papers destroyed. The county never had vaults. New courthouse just completed... has complete set of vaults." Garland County apparently had another serious fire in 1913.
- Garland County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of Garland county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts in Garland County. They are also the ex-officio Garland county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within Garland county.
- Phone: 501-622-3630
- Court Records: 1873
- Land Records: 1874
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health)
- Garland County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases within Garland county.
- Phone: 501-622-3610
- Marriage Records: 1873
- Probate Records: 1877
- Garland County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Circuit Clerk's Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Garland County, AR Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Garland County, AR?
A list of Garland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Arkansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Garland County Historical Society, P.O. Box 21335, Hot Springs, AR 71903-1335; 501/321-2159
- Melting Pot Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 936 (mailing address), 649-B Ouachita Ave. (location, street address), Hot Springs, AR 71902-0936; 501-624-0229
- Village Genealogical Society, 7 Doscientos Lane, Hot Springs Village, AR 71909; 501-922-6965
- Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201; 501.682.6900
- Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1411 Shady Grove Road, P.O. Box 908, Hot Springs, AR 71902-0908
- Arkansas Historical Association, 416 Old Main, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701; 479-575-5884
Where can I connect with other Garland County, AR Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Garland County, AR?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Garland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Garland Co. AR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Garland Co. AR Cemeteries & Church Records
Garland Co. AR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Garland Co. AR General and History Websites
Garland Co. AR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Garland Co. AR Military Records