Cochise County, Arizona
Cochise County was established on January 3, 1881 from Pima County. The county was named in honor of Cochise, the Apache Native American leader.
The Cochise County Seat is situated in Bisbee plus the county government website is http://www.cochise.az.gov/
Areas neighboring Cochise County actually are Santa Cruz County (southwest), Pima County (west), Graham County (north), Greenlee County (northeast), Hidalgo County, New Mexico (east), Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico (south), Cananea, Sonora, Mexico (south), Naco, Sonora, Mexico (south), Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico (south).
Cities and towns found in Cochise County comprise of Benson, Bisbee, Douglas, Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Willcox , Huachuca City. Unincorporated Communities located in the county include Elfrida, Hereford.
Cochise County vital records can be found at the Arizona Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arizona for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Cochise County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Arizona Birth Certificate and Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Cochise County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Cochise Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free online and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Cochise County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Cochise County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Arizona Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Arizona State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cochise Genealogical Society, Douglas-Williams House, 1001 Ave D, Douglas, Arizona 85608
- Cochise County Historical Society, Douglas-Williams House, 1001 Ave D, Douglas, Arizona 85608
- Douglas Historical Society, 1001 D Ave, Douglas, AZ 85607; Phone:(520) 364-7370
- Sierra Vista Genealogical Society (aka Apache Genealogical Society), P.O. Box 1084, Sierra Vista, AZ 85636-1084
- Sulphur Springs Valley Historical Society, 127 E. Maley Street, Willcox, Arizona 85643; (520) 384-3971
- Cochise County, Arizona Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cochise County
- Cochise County, Arizona Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cochise County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cochise County (usgwarchives.net)
Cochise County Courthouse and Government Records
Cochise County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the benefits of Cochise County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of family history and genealogy details. Hidden away in Arizona courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Arizona people. The possibilities are excellent that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least some factors of their lives in the Cochise County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below facts indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records are in Cochise County. The years stated listed below are the first known records for this particular county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details in advance of visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of workers will guide individuals in locating the resources, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the basic research.
- Cochise County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 Quality Hill Rd, Bisbee, AZ 85603
- Phone: (520) 803-3300
- Cochise County Clerk of Superior Court issues marriage licenses, maintain marriage and divorce records, civil, domestic, criminal, juvenile and probate records, Notary Public Bonds and Commissions, and any other duties that the presiding judge may prescribe.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: 1881
- Probate Records: 1880
- Court Records: 1881
- Cochise County Recorder has two principle duties. The first duty of the County Recorder is to record documents, as required by law, to be public record. Instruments recorded include real estate transactions, mortgages, deed of trust, family trusts, personal property, tax liens, mining locations, subdivision plats, records of survey, military discharges, official appointments of office, and other documents required to be made of public record. The second major duty concerns elections since the County Recorder is also the registrar of voters for the county. This involves maintaining the county register, conducting early voting, verifying petition signatures, lists for political parties and candidates, and jury lists.
- Cochise County Assessor has the statutory duty to locate, identify and value all taxable property in the county’s jurisdiction. The Assessor’s office maintains ownership of certain files, provides public services, value all land, improvements, and personal property annually, maps all parcels and maintains all tax authorities (area and boundaries). The utilization of recorded documents, deeds, plat maps and sub-divisions are among the tools used by the Assessor’s Office to accomplish several of these tasks.
Cochise County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cochise County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a directory which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own favorite Cochise County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Cochise Co. AZ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cochise Co. AZ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cochise Co. AZ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cochise Co. AZ Census Records
Cochise Co. AZ Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cochise Co. AZ Church & Bible Records
Cochise Co. AZ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cochise Co. AZ General and History Websites
Cochise Co. AZ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cochise Co. AZ Military Records
Cochise Co. AZ Schools & Directories