Randolph County, Alabama Genealogy
Randolph County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Randolph Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Randolph County was created on 18 Dec. 1832, from former Creek Indian territory by the Creek Cession of 1832. This particular county was named in honor of John Randolph (1773–1833), U.S. Senator from Virginia.
Currently the Randolph County Seat is located in Wedowee (established in 1834-35) and in addition the county government website is http://www.randolphcountyalabama.gov/
Locations adjacent Randolph County happen to be Cleburne County (north), Carroll County, Georgia (northeast), Heard County, Georgia (east), Troup County, Georgia (southeast), Chambers County (south), Tallapoosa County (southwest), Clay County (west)..
Cities and towns found in Randolph County consist of Roanoke, Rock Mills, Wadley, Wedowee, Woodland.
Randolph County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Randolph Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Randolph Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Randolph Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Randolph Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Randolph County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Randolph County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Annie L Awbrey Public Library, 263 College Street, Roanoke AL 36274
- Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library
- AlaBenton Genealogical Society , c/o The Alabama Room,
Box 308, Anniston, AL 36202, Publication: AlaBenton Genealogical Quarterly
- Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society, Box 8268 , Gadsden, AL 35902; Publication: Northeast Alabama Settlers
- ALRANDOL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Randolph County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- RAN-CLAY. A mailing list for anyone who has an interest in genealogy related to Randolph County and Clay County in east-central Alabama as well as Autauga County, Bullock County, Calhoun County, Chambers County, Cherokee County, Chilton County, Cleburne County, Coosa County, Elmore County, Etowah County, Lee County, Macon County, Montgomery County, Russell County, St.Clair County, Shelby County, Talladega County and Tallapoosa County, all of which are on or near the Georgia border. Additional information can be found on the East-Central Alabama Researchers web page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Randolph County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Randolph County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Randolph County
- Randolph County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Randolph County
Randolph County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Randolph County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Randolph County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
Randolph County's original 1836 log courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1897, as was the subsequent courthouse. The current courthouse was renovated in 2003 with nearly $100,000 in federal funds.
There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1896 . The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Randolph County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Randolph County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 249, Wedowee, AL 36278
- Phone: (256) 357-4933
- Court Records: 1897
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Randolph County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 328, Wedowee, AL 36278-0328
- Phone: (256) 357-4933
- Marriage Records: 1897 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1897
- Land Records: 1897
- Randolph County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Randolph County Health Department has Birth Records from 1886, Death records from 1886. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Randolph County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Randolph County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Randolph County genealogy or family history related sites.
Randolph Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Randolph Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Randolph Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Randolph Co. AL Census Records
Randolph Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Randolph Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Randolph Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Randolph Co. AL General and History Websites
Randolph Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Randolph Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Randolph Co. AL Military Records
Randolph Co. AL Schools & Directories