Lee County, Alabama Genealogy
Lee County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Lee Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Lee County was created on Dec. 5, 1866 and was formed from Chambers County, Macon County, Russell County and Tallapoosa County. This particular county was named in honor of Robert E. Lee (1807–1870), Commander of the Confederate States Army.
Currently the Lee County Seat is located in Opelika and in addition the county government website is http://www.leeco.us/
Locations adjacent Lee County happen to be Chambers County (north), Harris County, Georgia (northeast), Muscogee County, Georgia (east), Russell County (south), Macon County (southwest), Tallapoosa County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Lee County consist of Auburn, Loachapoka, Notasulga, Opelika, Phenix City, Smiths Station, Waverly.
Lee County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Lee Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Lee Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Lee County Historical Society, Po Box 206, Loachapoka, AL 36865; Publication: Trails in History
- Auburn Heritage Association, P.O. Box 2248, Auburn, AL 36830
- ALLEE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lee County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- ALLee-Rooters. A mailing list for anyone with a historic or genealogical interest in Lee County, Alabama. Surname queries are welcome. To subscribe send the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lee County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lee County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lee County
- Lee County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lee County
Lee County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Lee County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Lee County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Lee County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Lee County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 2266, Opelika, AL 36803-2266
- Phone: (334) 749-7141
- Court Records: 1867
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Lee County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: 215 S 9th St, Opelika, AL 36801-0666
- Phone: (334) 749-7141
- Marriage Records: 1867 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1867
- Lee Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Address: 215 SOUTH 9TH STREET, Opelika, AL 36801
- Phone: (334) 737-3655
- Lee County Health Department has Birth Records from 1916 , Death records from 1916. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Lee County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Lee County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Lee County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lee Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lee Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lee Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lee Co. AL Census Records
Lee Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lee Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Lee Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lee Co. AL General and History Websites
Lee Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Lee Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lee Co. AL Military Records
Lee Co. AL Schools & Directories