Coffee County, Alabama Genealogy
Coffee County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Coffee Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Coffee County was created on Dec. 29, 1841, from what had been part of Dale County. This particular county was named in honor of Gen. John Coffee, a hero of the Creek War of 1813-14.
The first county seat was at Wellborn. The county courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1851, and the following year the legislature authorized an election to be held to select another site. The town of Elba, then called Bentonville, was chosen. In addition the county government website is http://www.coffeecounty.us/
Locations adjacent Coffee County happen to be Pike County (north), Dale County (east), Geneva County (south), Covington County (west), Crenshaw County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Coffee County consist of Elba, Enterprise, Kinston, New Brockton.
Coffee County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Coffee Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Coffee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Coffee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Coffee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society Museum, Old Railroad Depot, Railroad Street, Enterprise, AL 36330,phone (334) 393-2901, Hours: M-F 10am-3pm, Sat. (Call for Hours) 10am-12am
- Coffee County Courthouse Annex, North Edwards Street, Enterprise, AL 36330, Phone (334) 347-2688
- Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society, 109 Main Street , Enterprise, AL 36330, Phone 334-393-2901, Publication: Pea River Trails
- Enterprise Public Library 101 East Grubbs Avenue, Enterprise, AL 36330, Phone, (334) 347-2636, Hours: M/W/F 9am-:30pm T/Th 9am-7pm Sat. 9am-4pm
- ALCOFFEE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Coffee County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-PRHGS. A mailing list for the members of the Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society located in Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama, to discuss the activities of the Society and individual research efforts related to Coffee County. Additional information can be found on the Society's website. If you are a member of the Society you can subscribe by sending a message to the List Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org providing your membership name and requesting that you be added to the list.
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Coffee County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Coffee County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Coffee County
- Coffee County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Coffee County
Coffee County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Coffee County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Coffee County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1859 and 1871. The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Coffee County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Coffee County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 230 Court Street, Elba, AL 36323
- Phone: (334) 897-2211
- Court Records: 1811
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Coffee County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: 230 Court Street, Elba, AL 36323
- Phone: (334) 897-2211
- Marriage Records: 1866 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1851
- Coffee County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Coffee County Health Department has Birth Records from 1908,Daeth records from 1920. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Coffee County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Coffee County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Coffee County genealogy or family history related sites.
Coffee Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coffee Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coffee Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coffee Co. AL Census Records
Coffee Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coffee Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Coffee Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coffee Co. AL General and History Websites
Coffee Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Coffee Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coffee Co. AL Military Records
Coffee Co. AL Schools & Directories